How Does Acupuncture Work?
Fine, sterile needles are inserted into specific energy points on the body’s meridians (energy channels) to clear any energy blocks and improve the flow of qi (energy) throughout the body. All of the needles are single use and are disposed of as per Australian standards. Acupuncture provides drug-free pain relief and a variety of acute and chronic conditions are able to be treated. By providing a holistic approach to disease and illness, acupuncture acknowledges the link between body, mind and emotions. It is also helpful in the prevention of illness, in addition to maintaining overall well-being.
Treatments are a very relaxing experience, where you will be lying on the treatment table while listening to relaxing music. Some people choose to meditate or switch off during this time. The needles will be in for a minimum of 20 minutes, to allow blood and qi to flow throughout the body. The frequency of treatments is determined by the severity of the condition.
Acupuncture has been proven to be effective in the treatment of:
- Neurological conditions- headaches, migraine, neuralgia, tinnitus, dizziness, and Meniere’s disease.
- Respiratory conditions- asthma, bronchitis, acute tonsillitis, rhinitis, sinusitis, hay fever, chronic cough, laryngitis, sore throat, influenza and the common cold.
- Digestive disorders- Irritable bowel syndrome, nausea/vomiting, heartburn, flatulence, bloating, colitis, diarrhoea, constipation, liver and gall bladder disorders.
- Women’s Health Issues- PMT, heavy, irregular or absent periods, hormonal disturbances, menopause, fertility issues and morning sickness.
- Musculoskeletal conditions/ aches and pain – fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, sciatica, shoulder, back and neck pain, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, tenosynovitis, frozen shoulder, carpal tunnel, tennis elbow.
- Sporting injuries – sprains, cartilage issues, muscle tears and corking, torn ligaments and bruises.
- Stress-related conditions -depression, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia
- Fatigue – Chronic fatigue syndrome, low energy, adrenal stress
Acupuncture has the following specific actions:
- It initiates neurological, immunological, and endocrine responses
- It removes energy blockages
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Tonifies and strengthens blood and enhances oxygenation in tissues
- Raises natural endorphin levels
- Enhances mental clarity
- Relaxes muscles and ligaments