SPINACH AND BLACK-EYED PEA SALAD
This black-eyed pea salad is so simple and quick to make. Black-eyed peas, unlike chickpeas, lima beans and canelli beans don’t need to be pre soaked, making for a quick meal. Three ingredients plus the dressing, couldn’t be simpler!
3 cups of dried black-eyed peas
1 bunch of spinach
2 to 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 to 3 tsp of celtic fine salt
juice of 2 to 3 lemons
- Place the black-eyed peas in a pot and cover with enough water so that they are covered at least 4 inches above the peas.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until the peas are soft (approximately 20 minutes).
- Then strain the peas, toss the water (you will notice that this water becomes black).
- Steam the spinach (leaves and stalks) until soft.
- In a bowel mix the black-eye peas and the spinach, add the lemon juice, salt and olive oil.
Tips and Tricks
- This dish is beautiful served cold or warm.
- The lemon juice, olive oil and salt can be increased or decreased according to personal preference.
- The key to this dish is to lather it with plenty of lemon juice, so don’t be shy.
- Makes for an excellent main meal with green salad and dip or as a little snack.