How to Build Your IMMUNITY During this Time?
We need to think of the immune system from a bigger picture perspective. It’s an orchestra of factors that effect the immune system, here are some important things to consider.
Both quality and quantity if not right, will make us feel run down if on going and this effects our stress hormones which influence our immune system. Lack of sleep can weaken immunity, increasing susceptibility to infection and increase inflammatory responses.
Then our DIET
- A poor diet will negatively effect our gut microbiome which basically is the control center of our immune system.
- Our microbiome likes plant fibers, fermented foods like sauerkraut, kefir, apple cider vinegar rather than sugars and white refined processed foods.
- Also a good diet will contain really important nutrients which the immune system relies on such as zinc, vitamin C, vitamin A and B vitamins to name a few.
The other important factor is:
How we manage STRESS
I say manage because if you’re a human you cant avoid stress and some stress is critical!
- If stress isn’t managed with good problem solving skills, and better ways to perceive situations then life becomes very STRESSFUL! Stress managment is extremely useful from a psychological perspective and worth the effort to learn.
- HIGH stress causes us to release cortisol and if this goes on for too long this has a cascade of effects on our gut, immune system and hormones.
- Stress also influences our behaviour, our FOOD and sleep choices.
- A real major influencer for our immune system, it’s worth checking our levels and it’s the vitamin (aka hormone) that we get from the sun. One of the reasons infections are more prominent in the winter is because our vitmain D levels are lower at this time of the year.
- Our immune story would not be complete without a mention about exercise! Movement helps our gut motility, detoxification pathways and helps us produce the chemicals which control our mood – this all results in an environment that supports our immune system.
These things are bigger than just one food!
In saying that there is a special immune tea I love when you do get sick: – infused- grated fresh garlic, ginger, lemon, turmeric and a dash raw honey.
These are also good to consume for your immunity;
- Bone broths
- Good amounts of protein foods
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Healthy oils and fats
Food preparation is often forgotten, when we talk about healthy eating – so don’t forget steamed and slow cooked meals over deep fried fast foods and processed foods!
*** Finally do not forget to address underlying health conditions that might be effecting the immune system – this is absolutely critical *****
You can also check this blog for more information on the immune system and listen to the recording!
10 Days to Feeling Better
Try the #1 strategy that has helped our clients with fatigue, weight issues, and generally feeling crappy to feel better in just 10 minutes a day!