How to Build Your IMMUNITY During this Time?
We need to think of the immune system from a bigger picture perspective. Its an orchestra of things that effect the immune system rather than one thing, here are some important things that effect our immune system.
- Both quality and quantity if not right, will make us feel run down if on going and this effects our stress hormones which influence our immune system.
Then our DIET
- A poor diet will negatively effect our gut microbiome which basically is the control center of our immune system.
- Our microbiome likes plant fibers, fermented foods like sauerkraut, kefir, apple cider vinegar rather than sugars and white refined processed foods.
- Also a good diet will contain really important nutrients which the immune system relies on such as zinc, vitamin C, vitamin A and B vitamins to name a few.
The other important factor is:
How we manage STRESS
I say manage because if you’re a human you cant avoid stress!
- If stress isn’t managed with good problem solving skills, and better ways to perceive situations then life becomes very STRESSFUL! These skills are critical and worth the effort to learn.
- HIGH stress causes us to release too much cortisol for too long this has a cascade of effects on our gut, immune system and hormones.
- Stress also influences our behaviour, our FOOD and sleep choices.
- A real major influencer for our immune system, it’s worth checking our levels and it’s the vitmain (aka hormone) that we get from the sun.
- Our immune story would not be complete without a mention about exercise! Movement helps our gut motility, detoxification pathways and helps us produce the chemicals which control our mood – this all results in an environment that supports our immune system.
These things are bigger than just one food……….
In saying that there is a special immune tea I love: – infused- grated fresh garlic, ginger, lemon, turmeric and a dash raw honey.
These are also good to consume for your immunity;
- Bone broths
- Good amounts of protein foods
- healthy oils and fats
Food preparation is often forgotten, when we talk about healthy eating – so don’t forget steamed and slow cooked meals over deep fried fast foods and processed foods!
*** Finally do not forget to address underlying health conditions that might be effecting the immune system – this is absolutely critical *****